On 10 and 14 July 2014, the European Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC) Bureau (EIPPCB) announced public consultations on two working drafts of its Best Available Techniques (BAT) reference documents (BREFs) concerning the common waste water and waste gas treatment/management systems in the chemical sector and the production of wood-based panels. The consultations will be open until 8 September 2014. Furthermore, on 29 July 2014, the EIPPCB published the BREF concerning the production of chlor-alkali.
To note, only the English version is authentic. However, the BAT conclusions are now translated into the languages of the EU and are published in the OJEU.
For information, the EIPPCB is responsible for developing the BREFs required by Directive 2008/1/EC of 15 January 2008 concerning integrated pollution prevention and control (IPPC), now replaced by Directive 2010/75/EU on industrial emissions (IED).
As a reminder, on 30 July 2014, the European Commission (EC) launched public consultations on policy options to optimise water reuse in the European Union (EU). The objective of the consultation is to gather views on the most suitable EU-level instruments to foster water reuse. The consultation is still open until 7 November 2014.
Red-on-line EHS Legal Counsel
- Working draft of Best Available Techniques (BAT) Reference Document for Common Waste water and Waste Gas Treatment/Management Systems in the Chemical Sector, 10 July 2014
- Working draft of Best Available Techniques (BAT) Reference Document for the Production of Wood – based Panels, 14 July 2014
- Best Available Techniques (BAT) Reference Document for the Production of Chlor-alkali, 29 July 2014
- Link to the working draft of the BREF for Common Waste water and Waste Gas Treatment/Management Systems in the Chemical Secto – 10 July 2014
- Link to the working draft of the BREF on the production of wood-based panels – 29 July 2014
- Link to the BREF on the production of chlor-alkali – 29 July 2014
- Link to the consolidated version of Directive 2010/75/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 24 November 2010 (OJEU L 334 of 17 December 2010)