Washington: Department of Ecology Adopts Greenhouse Gas Rules to Comply with Climate Commitment Act
- #Oil & gas
- #weste gas
On March 2, 2022 in the Washington State Register, the Department of Ecology adopted rules to expand the number and type of entities subject to report greenhouse gas emissions and improve reporting requirements to align with the Climate Commitment Act. The legislature passed the Act in 2021 establishing a cap and invest program to help Washington meet climate goals. This rule is in effect March 12, 2022.
Specifically, the adopted amendmentsto 173-441 WAC include, among other things:
- Adds supplies such as natural gas supplies, carbon dioxide supplies, and electric power entities to the existing GHG reporting program.
- Replaces the existing transportation fuel supplier program with a CCA-compatible fuel supplier program.
- Updates GHG reporting requirements and facilitates potential program linkage with other jurisdictions.
- Adds program elements for verification of GHG reporting data.
- Modifies provisions such as deadlines and GHG reporting fees.
- Includes requirements necessary to support the above items, the overall objectives of the statute or chapter, or goals of the CCA.
Sources :Washington State Register, GHG Reporting, March 2, 2022 https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/law/wsr/2022/05/22-05-050.htm