The first week of November 2020 brought forth a number of changes in Covid-19 related restrictions and measures. Here we provide an overview and associated guidance relevant to the workplace
In England:From Thursday 5 November 2020, England will be facing new restrictions which limit non-essential travel and shopping. People are asked to stay home unless it is to fulfil an essential purpose. Work is considered an essential purpose if the employee can not work from home. These measures were passed by The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020 (03/Nov/2020) and will be in place until Wednesday 2 December 2020.
- Where your employees cannot work from home, workplace precautions must still be in place. Find guidance from the HSE here
- For your employees working from home, find additional guidance here
In Wales:The Firebreak restrictions currently in place end on Monday 9 November 2020. The Welsh government has published guidance for what to do after these end.
- After the end of the restrictions, employers should continue to consider alternatives to on-site work which can still meet all the needs of the company.
- Businesses must take all reasonable precautions in the workplace.
In Scotland:The new 5 tier system is now in place in Scotland. People should limit to essential purposes of their travels between different tier areas. Where possible, working from home is still advised. Travel to other parts of the UK and the world is discouraged as to limit potential infections.
- Guidance for Working from home has been updated to reflect the tier system
- Full list of Covid-19 guidance here and First minister statement on Covid-19 from 4/Nov/2020 here
In Northern Ireland:The 4-week restriction plan continues to apply. These are currently expected to end on Nov 13 2020.
- E (SI) 2020/1200 – The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020 (03/Nov/2020)
- HSE: Keeping your workplace secure
- Welsh Government Guidance on Covid
- Welsh Government: Employer responsability
- Scottish Government: Guidance for Working from home
- First Minister’s Statement on 4 Nov. 2020
- Northern Ireland list of guidance for Covid-19
- Northern Ireland business support information