Public meeting dates were announced on August 4, 2021 in the Federal Register to solicit pre-proposal feedback on the Waters of the United States (WOTUS) rule from stakeholders for 10 geographical roundtables. The meetings were requested by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), US Army Corps of Engineers, and US Department of Defense.
- Restoring the pre-2015 foundational rule to be consistent with relevant Supreme Court rulings
- Refining and building upon the restored foundational rule
- Take into account the goal of the Clean Water Act to protect water resources and communities
- Incorporate the latest science and the effects of climate change
- Emphasize practical implementation approaches for state and Tribal partners
- Reflect the experiences of an array of stakeholders including landowners, the agricultural community, states, Tribes, environmental groups, local governments, community organizations, and disadvantaged communities with environmental justice concerns