The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced the availability of the final Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) risk evaluation of 1-Bromopropane (1-BP). The purpose of conducting this risk evaluation is to determine whether 1-Bromopropane presents an unreasonable risk of injury to health or the environment under the conditions of use without consideration of costs or other nonrisk factors. From this risk evaluation, the EPA found that specific conditions of use of 1-BP present an unreasonable risk of injury to health.
For conditions of 1-BP use where EPA found an unreasonable risk of injury to health or the environment, EPA must take regulatory action to address those risks.
The conditions of use for which unreasonable risks were found include:
- processing the chemical into formulation;
- use as solvent in industrial and commercial cleaning and degreasing, including vapor degreasing, cold cleaning and spray and aerosol degreasers;
- use in adhesives and sealants;
- use in dry cleaning and spot cleaning for clothing;
- use in several specialty spray/aerosol applications.
The conditions of use for which unreasonable risks for consumer use were found to include:
- solvent in aerosol spray degreasers/cleaners,
- spot cleaners and stain removers
- liquid cleaner used for coins or scissors;
- liquid spray/aerosol cleaners;
- adhesive accelerants used in arts, crafts, and hobby materials;
- automotive care products such as refrigerant flush; and,
- anti-adhesive agents used in mold cleaning and release products.
The conditions of use that EPA determined do not present an unreasonable risk include:
- domestic manufacture;
- processing as a reactant;
- incorporation into articles;
- distribution in commerce;
- commercial and consumer use in insulation; and,
Sources:EPA Notice, 1-Bromopropane; Final Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Risk Evaluation; Notice of Availability (Aug. 12, 2020).
Red-on-line provides personalized regulatory monitoring to help you to maintain compliance with changing EHS regulations. Click here to learn more about our software and regulatory update services, and to subscribe to our regulatory update newsletter.