EPA Releases 2014 Toxics Release Inventory National Analysis [US]

On January 21, 2016, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced the release of the 2014 Toxics Release Inventory National Analysis. 

Using data submitted annually by facilities that use certain threshold quantities of toxic chemicals, the EPA generates this Analysis to publically report national toxic chemical releases for that year.  The 2014 TRI data show a 6 percent decrease in total release of toxic chemicals to the environment from 2013 to 2014.

EHS-red-on-line-toxic-regulations-US

Under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA), facilities that use certain quantities of toxic chemicals must report chemical release information to the EPA and state regulators via annual reports.

These reports, known as Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) reports, must be submitted by July 1st of each year and consist of chemical data from the previous year.

The EPA then analyzes this data and generates the TRI National Analysis annually.

In 2014, 16% of the toxic chemical waste managed at facilities across the nation was released into the environment, while the remaining 84% was managed using preferred methods like recycling, energy recovery and treatment.   

Sources:

To access the 2014 TRI National Analysis, visit www.epa.gov/trinationalanalysis.

EPA News Release: EPA to Hold 2014 Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) National Analysis Press Call, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, January 21, 2016.

Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA)